Is your intern working illegally?
Employers need to be aware of their obligations when they're considering using unpaid interns, in order to prevent exposure to significant back pay claims and potential penalties.
Harmers Workplace Lawyers
Executive Counsel and Senior Team Leader
After graduating from the University of New South Wales in 1993, Emma Pritchard became an Associate to Justice Lee of the Federal Court of Australia. She then joined one of Australia’s largest law firms practising in the areas of commercial litigation and corporate law, and then specialised in employment and industrial law. Emma joined Harmers Workplace Lawyers in December 1999 and became a partner in 2003.
She currently oversees both staff and operational management of the firm, as well as managing a busy practice as Executive Counsel and Senior Team Leader. Emma’s practice is litigation-focused. Emma had the conduct of the largest litigation matter in the history of the Industrial Relations Court of New South Wales, where she acted for Gough & Gilmour Holdings Pty Limited & Ors against Caterpillar Australia Pty Ltd & Ors.
Emma advises both employers and employees in relation to:
– Individual and collective employment agreements (with particular expertise in executive contracts).
– Remuneration incentive and retention arrangements, including share and option scheme arrangements.
– Protection of confidential information and intellectual property, and restraint of trade agreements.
– Legal risks associated with termination of employment and unfair dismissal claims.
– Adverse action claims and unfair contract claims.
– Strategies to manage and resolve industrial/employment disputes.
– Employment and industrial relations implications from mergers and acquisitions.
– Employment issues arising under the Corporations Law, including insolvency issues.
– Occupational health and safety laws, including assisting investigations and prosecutions.
– Discrimination, equal opportunity and bullying claims.
– Privacy issues.
– Compliance training.
Emma was awarded the 2015 Corporate INTL Legal Award for ‘Employment Litigation Lawyer of the Year in Australia’.